'Glauc-billed', I put it to you that you are "H", the 4th gull.
For the sake of the observer (and possibly the wee donkey), are you "H" - American Herring Gull, or "H" - European Herring Gull ?
When did we stop caring about gull identification and scapulars?
Observations - immature gull present on a very hot and sunny day in late May 2021, Newlyn, Cornwall.
- Immature 'Glauc-like' pink and black-tipped bill, right-hand nostril perhaps showing a bit of damage along its length and above.
- Tail - too much white for AHG or is this just a pale example?
- I'm not confident with the feathers minutia but in the absence of photos of the AHG since early May, would or could it be this pale and in the state of moult as shown below?
- Behaviour - silent but when food was in the offering it would call and chase off other gulls. It also had a go at an adult European Herring Gull. An immature GBB Gull took an instant dislike to it and grabbed its wing on a couple of occasions and attacked it in the feeding melee.
- Is this the American Herring Gull now in 1st summer dress?